Monday, January 07, 2013

Burning Man kufiya and hula hoop


This blog post describes a video that was made at the 2012 Burning Man camp, when "a hula cam was fashioned by attaching a GoPro camera to a hula hoop with duct tape." The video shows women from the viewpoint of the hoop.



You think when you read about the vid that its purpose is to show how cool the technology is. When you watch the vid, you realize the true purpose is voyeuristic: you get to watch, close up, women hula-hooping, all young, none overweight, wearing either with skimpy bikini tops or even pasties. I guess men really watching this stuff. When I looked, the vid had enjoyed 3,688,045 views.

Based on my viewing of this vid and having attended the Wakarusa music festival in Arkansas in 2009, I conclude that hula hooping is a major activity for similarly-clad young women at such events.

But at least watching the vid did reveal that, yes, you can find kufiyas even at neo-hippy events like Burning Man. (And at Wakarusa.)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Hi Ted,

I am the woman featured in the still shot you took from the Hula Burn 2012 video. I unintentionally stumbled across your blog and this picture of myself after doing a google image search for Burning Man 2012. Just out of curiosity, at your mention of the term "kufiya" - are you referring to the yarn braids that I am wearing? If I can be of any further assistance to your anthropological evaluation of the festival or video, please let me know! ;)

Ted Swedenburg said...

Hi Aimee: thanks for the comment. Can we be in touch via email: tsweden@uark.edu. The kufiya is the scarf you are wearing.