Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Kominas: Islamic Punk


Taqwacores: 4 songs available to download from The Kominas' homepage. My fave, right now, is "Sharia Law in the USA," recorded with 8bit, which invokes "Anarchy in the UK": "I am an Islamist, I am an anti-Christ."

Thanks to Michael Muhammad Knight, I have learned that Kominas member Basim is now in Pakistan, volunteering for the Kashmiri relief effort. That is so punk rock. You can read his "punkistani" blog here. [Correction: for some reason that link doesn't work, so paste this into your browser: www.livejournal.com/users/punkistani.]

Tags:

1 comment:

John Schaefer said...

I'm glad they finally got some more up there--just too late for my students to enjoy...

I could only play "Rumi was a Homo" for them, which was cool, because we read an article on Siraj Wahhaj to get an idea for non-NOI Muslims in America...