Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kufiyaspotting #48: Kathryn Bigelow

Jonathan Olley/Summit Entertainment

I'm pretty excited to see this photo of director Kathryn Bigelow, kufiya clad, in the New York Times, June 21. It's from a great article by Manohla Dargis, on the occasion of the release of Bigelow's latest film, The Hurt Locker. I can't wait to see it. I'm a huge fan of Bigelow's Near Dark, Blue Steel, Point Break and Strange Days. It's wonderful to read a review that treats Bigelow with the respect she deserves, and that calls her a "great filmmaker." (Plus, the review mentions the fact that Bigelow appears in the film, Born in Flames, the subject of a previous kufiyaspotting.)

UPDATE: I should have thanked Therese for alerting me to this on Saturday evening. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about it until Sunday morning, when my Times arrives.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think Phil Chbeeb, the hip-hop dancer on this year's So You Think You Can Dance, has been sporting a kuffiyeh as well, but the clips are too short for me to confirm.